FRIED GREEN TOMATO SANDWICH
INGREDIENTS: 2 medium sized green tomatoes, 1 cup flour, 3 tsp rice flour or regular flour , 1/8 teaspoon turmeric powder, 2 rsp water, 3/4 bread crumbs, 3/4 cup corn meal, 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, salt and pepper to taste, oil enough to shallow fry.
HOW TO MAKE FRIED GREEN TOMATO SANDWICH:
- put the one cup of flour onto a plate; combine the 3 tablespoon flour, turmeric powder, and water in a shallow bowl; adjust water if the batter is too thick (You can substitute this mixture for 2 eggs (beaten) if you’re not a vegan);
- combine the breadcrumbs and cornmeal on another plate;
- slice the tomatoes into 2,5 cm thick slices; place on a rack on top of some paper towel or a tea towel and sprinkle salt before turning them over; leave them for 10 minutes so the salt can draw out the water from the tomatoes, cover the tomato slice with flour – dip it in the turmeric powder batter (or the beaten eggs), then cover it with the breadcrumb-cornmeal mixture, return it to the rack and chill in the fridge for about 10-15 minutes just to firm up.
- heat enough oil in a frying pan to shallow fry the tomatoes on medium-high heat. Fry the tomatoes for 2-3 minutes per side, this allows the tomato to soften a bit and the crust to become crunchy;
- drain on paper towels and serve on toasted bread with vegan, topped with a bunch of basil and ketchup on the side.